Des Moines Christian School invites students from around the world to join our community and experience a quality, Christian education. We partner with organizations such as, but not limited to, US Education Without Borders to host students in Grades 8-12. International students enrich our student body as they bring diversity and vibrancy to our community of learners.
As a DMC high school student, international students will be well prepared for post-secondary success through our rigorous, college-preparatory academic program which approaches learning through a rich, biblical worldview. Students are encouraged to get involved with high school activities and extracurriculars; from athletics to fine arts to specialized clubs there are plenty to choose from. Explore our high school Academics and Activities pages to learn more!
International students are paired with a host family to live with during their time at DMCS. Host families offer a supportive, Christian home-away-from-home as students experience the life of a typical teenager in the United States and build relationships with new friends and mentors. Many host families have children in Elementary, Middle School, or High School or may have children who are alumni of DMCS.
Des Moines Christian School is nestled in the metro area of Des Moines, Iowa and holds many opportunities for international students to experience opportunities for art, theater, sporting events, and museums. Located in Central Iowa, students are able to easily visit surrounding areas such as Omaha, NE; Kansas City, MO; Chicago, IL; and Minneapolis, MN with a weekend trip for additional cultural experiences.
Post Graduation Plans
Our students attend colleges and universities across the United States and abroad. Here is a sampling of the schools where our recent graduates have been accepted.
Steps to Admission
Des Moines Christian international admissions are open from April - August each year. Early applications are encouraged due to limited space in some grade levels.
To join the DMCS family, follow these steps for admission:
- Submit an International Student Application.
- School personnel will contact you to schedule either an in-person or Skype interview for an initial language assessment.*
*DMCS is not certified with the Office of U.S. Immigration and Customs as an English as a Second Language institution. Students must meet an English proficiency standard to be enrolled.
- Submit remaining paperwork.
- Scores from an English proficiency test, which may include:
a) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
b) TOEFL Junior
c) International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP)
d) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (SLEP is no longer accepted)
- School transcripts with A, B, C, D style grades.
- Two teacher reference letters (including one from an English Teacher).
- A writing sample
- Upon acceptance at Des Moines Christian School, the student will receive an emailed acceptance letter and enrollment contract. All tuition and fees must be paid before the I-20 will be issued.
- Once a signed contract and payment are received, DMCS will send an acceptance packet, which includes a hard copy of the acceptance letter, the I-20 form, and Visa application instructions.
- After receiving the Visa, the student should begin making travel arrangements to the United States.
- Upon acceptance into the program, a host family will be arranged for the student. The student should Skype or email the host family to become acquainted with them.
- Prior to arrival in the United States, the student must submit scanned copies of the remaining forms. Please keep original copies when traveling to the U.S.